Problem extending the

Nicolas COLIN ncolin at technodiva.com
Wed Dec 20 12:09:31 CET 2006

william(at)elan.net <william <at> elan.net> writes:

> Note - size increase for this patch is 2k, I increased if further manually.
> And if you use it go through every line - it is internal patch I use to
> increase several other limits as well (but some such as MAX_INPUT_BUFFER
> are needed to get larger MAX_PLUGIN_OUTPUT to work) and it also changes
> path in at least one place.
>
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, william(at)elan.net wrote:
>
> > If you're interested in increasing buffers, here is patch:
> >  http://www.elan.net/~william/nagios/nagios25-largerbuffers.patch
> > [warnings about it being experimental and use at your own risk apply]
> >
> > Regarding 512k FIFO limit, while its good to be safe and I've no
> > problem with it, it really has been quite some time (over 10 years)
> > when 512k was stopping factor; unfortunately however what are FIFO
> > buffers is badly documented on unix systems you likely to use so
> > doing it above 4k (even above 1k) like Ethan says is just not safe -
> > do experiments on your own if you like to be adventurous though...
> > Best I can tell you is that I got 3k plugin output with that patch
> > on linux rhel3 & linux suse10 systems.
> >
> > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Nicolas COLIN wrote:
> >

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Thanks for you answer. It helps.
> >>
> >> I tried different values but get stuck to low. I am stopping investigating
> >> on this issue.
> >>
> >> I will impatiently wait for the v3. By any chance, do you have an idea of
> >> the release date or even of the first beta date ?
> >>
> >> In the mean time, I am thinking of using Nagios with MySQL (instead of
> >> default files) which will allow me to update the database directly. Do you
> >> think this could be effective ?
> >>
> >> Thanks again.

William,

I tried your patch (on v2.5) but I get an error (see below).
Have you got an idea?

$ patch -p1 < nagios25-largerbuffers.patch
patching file include/common.h
Hunk #1 succeeded at 379 (offset -11 lines).
patching file include/objects.h
Hunk #2 FAILED at 55.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file include/objects.h.rej
patching file p1.pl

Ethan,

Is there a date for the v3.0 beta?
Or have you got an idea if this could be in days, weeks or months?

Maybe I can do some coding to help.

I also looked at nagios-db but it does not seem to evolve frequently.
Any of you has already tried it?

Regards,

--
Nicolas COLIN.