Problem extending the

Nicolas COLIN ncolin at technodiva.com
Thu Dec 14 17:34:08 CET 2006

> Ethan Galstad <nagios <at> nagios.org> writes:
>
> The problem you'll run into is due to a limitation with FIFOs in
> general.  The POSIX standard only guarantees an atomic write of 512
> bytes max to a FIFO, so writing more data than 512 bytes at a time could
> land you in trouble.  AFAIK, most OSes bump this level up a bit, but the
> max buffer size on a FIFO is often limited to 4K, so your total write
> size can't really be above that level.
>
> Length limitations for plugin output will disappear with Nagios 3.x.
> There is a new IPC method for handling active host/service checks that
> allows for long plugin output (its capped at 4K for safety's sake) and
> there is a new external command that will allow passive checks to have
> longer (and multiline) output as well.  The new PROCESS_EXTERNAL_FILE
> command will tell Nagios to read other external commands/passive checks
> results from an external (flat) file.  Regular files don't have line
> length limitations, so this will be a useable workaround.
>
> So, your the problem you have will disappear once Nagios 3 is released,
> but it will still be a problem for Nagios 1/2.    Hope that helps.
>
> Ethan Galstad,
> Nagios Developer
> ---
> Email: nagios <at> nagios.org
> Website: http://www.nagios.org

Hi,

Thanks for you answer. It helps.

I tried different values but get stuck to low. I am stopping investigating on
this issue.

I will impatiently wait for the v3. By any chance, do you have an idea of the
release date or even of the first beta date ?

In the mean time, I am thinking of using Nagios with MySQL (instead of default
files) which will allow me to update the database directly. Do you think this
could be effective ?

Thanks again.

--
Nicolas COLIN