logging behaviours between nagios1 and nagios2

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Aug 31 09:50:32 CEST 2006

Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to have nagios-2.5 logging behaviour somewhat equal to
> nagios-1.4.1? With nagios-1.4.1, when some passive check results arrives
> at nagios.cmd pipe, and if that result isn't configured as a service in
> nagios, there is a log entry like:
>
> [1156965483] Warning:  Message queue contained results for service 'SM Daemon' on host 'sedna16-b'.  The service could not be found!
>
> This is useful when we have a script that parses nagios.log looking for
> entries like those to create a service entry and reloading nagios
> configs automatically.
>
> I have tested with nagios-2.5, but it did not knows if some results
> arriving via command pipe are from configured services or not.
>
> Is there anything to tweak within nagios.cfg to make it log like
> nagios-1.4.1?

A much more efficient solution would be to pass the passive
service-checks to an external daemon that creates the service-checks if
they don't exist, restarts nagios and only then passes on the
check-result data to the main Nagios process. I expect this wouldn't be
a problem if you've already got someone competent enough to parse the
nagios logfile in a fairly efficient manner.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se