Nagios fails on empty config file

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Wed Aug 23 13:04:47 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 11:04 +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Having investigated a bit further, it seems the mmap() call is the
> culprit in case the system doesn't support zero-length mmaps (many
> systems don't), in which case a simple "echo > config_file" would do the
> trick. Marc, can you verify if this is the case?
>
> The simplest solution in this case would be to just skip the mmap() step
> in case of zero-length files, as they're closed before real operations
> commence anyways, and I think it's safe to assume most systems can spare
> the 100 bytes or so of memory that are lost during the config reading.

i would second this suggestion.  while from a development point of view
it might make sense to fail in this situation, it makes life very
difficult for packagers.  also, since reading config files is a one-time
cost and the extra overhead of doing a stat+checking size seems minimal,
i don't see the harm in doing so.

	sean