Bug in inheritance of notification_options ?

Volker Maibaum volker.maibaum at eberspaecher.com
Fri Aug 18 08:29:54 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm using Nagios 2.4 and I think I found a bug that concerns the
inheritance of the parameter "notification_options".

Here my definitions:

define service{
        name                            nocontact-generic-service
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           4
        retry_check_interval            1
        notification_interval           240
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,r,c
        register                        0
        }

define service{
        name                            XYZ-generic-service
        contact_groups                  XYZgroup
        register                        0
        use                             nocontact-generic-service
        }

define service {
        hostgroup_name                  XYZ-SSH-Server
        service_description             CHECK_PROCS_BY_SSH
        use                             XYZ-generic-service
        check_command                   check_by_ssh!procs
        }

I assumed that the options from nocontact-generic-service are inherited
by XYZ-generic-service and than inherited by XYZ-SSH-Server.
That is why I only put notification_options w,r,c in
nocontact-generic-service. But actually it turns out that the
notification_options for the services XYZ-SSH-Server are not "w,r,c" but
"w,u,r,c" (I see this in the web-frontend in "view config" and I also
get notified on unknown service states).

This does not happen when I explicitly add "notification_options w,r,c"
to XYZ_generic-service or XYZ-SSH-Server.

It's not a problematic bug, but I think it doesn't work as intended.

regards,

Volker