cfg_dir and hidden directories

SourceForge (sourceforge.net) sourceforge at paul.delong.name
Wed Apr 19 16:43:23 CEST 2006

On 4/19/06, Mark Plaksin <happy at usg.edu> wrote:

> The actual problem seems crazy.  We have had a "name" directive in many of
> our service definitions ever since we started running Nagios.  Looking back
> at the 1.3 (and 2.1) docs, I can't see where we came up with that.  We add
> nearly every service to Nagios via a script so they all have it.
>
> Anyhow, we used the same name for the same service for multiple hosts.  So
> the load average service check for each host had:
>         name    load
>
> in it.  So Nagios said it was duplicated.  We deleted all of these name
> lines and all is well.  Sorry for the noise!

The "name" directive is actually valid - it's used for template
definitions.  Have a look at this:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/templaterecursion.html

I don't know why, but for some reason I've always tended to forget
where the name/register/use tokens are documented.  Perhaps because
they're not indexed the way I would assume they are (e.g., not in the
object definitions section)?  Maybe there's a similar reason for why
you had trouble finding the docs too.  *shrug*

Later,
Paul.