Nagios 2.0b4 restart issue

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Tue Nov 29 22:54:46 CET 2005

Hello,

On 29.11.2005 01:46, Radkon wrote:

> I just got to playing with 2.0b4 and the first thing I ran into was the 127
> error, the resources.cfg file by default was pointing to:
> $USER1$=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins
>
> but the plugins install into: $USER1$=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/
>
> Not a big deal it works now, the problem is when I restart the nagios
> process all the plugins fail again, in order to keep it running I have to
> kill -9 the process and then restart it.
>
> Here is a log message from after the restart: nagios:
> Warning: Return code of 127 for check of service 'Root / Free Space' on host
> 'host.network.com' was out of bounds. Make sure the plugin you're trying to
> run actually exists.
>
> The system is Fedora Core 4, with nagios 2.0b4.

I've experienced this problem, too.
Here, it was a permissions issue. The file with the "private" macros was
0600 root:root, but should have been 0600 nagios:nagios. I assume that
nagios reads this file as root at startup, but at a reload it's running
as user nagios... The solution was, obviously, a simple chown nagios.
/etc/nagios/resource.cfg for me.

Hope that helps,

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de