AW: AW: Nagios 2.0b4 restart issue

Husch Andreas Andreas.Husch at bitburger.de
Tue Nov 29 12:12:05 CET 2005

> > there are many possible causes for Error 127, but in Nagios 2.x the
> > most common problem is that two Nagios instances are running at the
> > same time!
>

> No it's not. Multiple instances has absolutely nothing to do with what
the shell returns when asked to run a program. In this case, it does

>	result = execve(argv[0], argv, envp);
>	/* execve() only returns on errors, so hint what went wrong */
>	exit (-errno);
>
> and since ENOENT == 2 this results in a return code of -127 on all
architectures that implement the two-complement bit pattern.

Hi Andreas,

thats right. But there are cases where the useres get Error 127 when
they reload with the init script. If they do a clean stop and start, the
error is gone away.
Im not really a C coder an i had no look at the source for this (which i
should had), but maybe $USER1$ ist not filled right in this cases? So
the Path to the plugin is wrong and as a result we get Error 127 from
the shell. Just a stupid guess.

btw: I've done a test on my 2.0b3 production system (if this is fixed in
a newer version forget everything i wrote): If i hit "/etc/init.d/nagios
reload", Nagios immediately detects my hole network as DOWN because ALL
checks result in an error 127. If i do a clean stop and start everything
works ALLWAYS fine.

Regards
Andreas H.