Antwort: Re: Problems with many hanging Nagios processes (Nagios spawning rogue nagios processes eventually crashing Nagios server)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Nov 29 11:24:34 CET 2005

linux-system-technik at de.man-mn.com wrote:
> Hi Andi,
>
> thanks for your answer.
>
> Here is the link to Alexs mail.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=8135931&forum_id=1872

Thanks. Yes, this has to do with the pipe-size which, unfortunately,
just isn't big enough. A solution would be to have a wrapper program
listen on the pipe (for the CGI's and such), parse it to a numerical
value and then pass on the command to Nagios through a local UDP socket
which can have dynamic receive-buffers with a roof somewhere around 128
pages (128 * 4096 = 512KB), iirc.

> I thought that in Nagios terms CMS means Central Monitoring System?

That would be NMS (Network Monitoring System), although I see why you
made the mistake from the original mail.

> A kernel recompile is not a problem for me. But I didn't find any setting
> called "pipe size" nor even "pipe". Maybe you can give me a hint which
> setting I have to change.

It's not a setting. It's a macro in the kernel sources.
grep -r "FIFO.*4096" /usr/src/linux

The latest sources from git shows multiple entries of DEFAULT_FIFO_LEN.
You may need to change all of them and expect the machine to crash every
now and then until you find the right one (which is why this shouldn't
really be fixed by a kernel re-compile).

> Hopefully Ethan let your change in the 2.x release. Would be great. I could
> also test it in a massive / debugging way, if you are interested in.

I will be when I've got something to test. Thanks.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se