AW: Nagios 2.0b4 restart issue

Husch Andreas Andreas.Husch at bitburger.de
Tue Nov 29 09:59:35 CET 2005

> > Here is a log message from after the restart: nagios:
> > Warning: Return code of 127 for check of service 'Root / Free Space'

> > on host 'host.network.com <http://host.network.com>' was out of
> > bounds. Make sure the plugin you're trying to run actually exists.
>
> Code 127 is "command not found"
> (http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/exitcodes.html) so there is not much
to do except figuring out why nagios can't find your plugin.
> Try to 'su nagios' and then run the command exactly as nagios would
(using the full path and so on)

Hi,
there are many possible causes for Error 127, but in Nagios 2.x the most
common problem is that two Nagios instances are running at the same
time! This is unforunatley really often the case if the init script is
used with "restart". Stop Nagios by /etc/init.d/nagios stop, wait until
it is REALLY stopped (check with ps), kill nagios processes that are
still running, start it again - and it will work.

> > This was the only way to see if anyone else was seeing this
Many users at our board complained about chaos if they use
"/etc/init.d/nagios restart" (Error 127, disappearing services, double
services, UNKNOWN states and so on - all errors where caused by multiple
nagios instances running accidently). I suppose most installations are
affected by this.

Reagards
Andreas
www.nagios-portal.de