Problems with Nagios 2.0b4 config file reader

Scottie Thompson scottiesmail at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 22:26:04 CET 2005

I have been working to convert my config files from 1.x to 2.0 standards.
One new feature that I wanted to take advantage of was the ability to assign
a host to a hostgroup inside of the host definition using the hostgroups
directive. After much work converting my files I was getting errors when
running the "nagios -v nagios.cfg" check. Nagios complained of no members in
certain hostgroups:

[root at cassini base]# ./nagios -v /opt/nagios/etc/2.0/nagios.cfg

<snip>

Reading configuration data...

Error: Hostgroup has no members (config file
'/opt/nagios/etc/2.0/hosts/hostgroups.cfg', starting on line 21)

***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the config
files...
</snip>

 This was completely bogus. I figured out (by process of serious
elimination) that on certain hosts Nagios didn't want me to use multiple
hostgroups directives (I had been using 2 directives...but using 1
hostgroups directive it worked). I can send you a copy of the config files
or whatever you would need to squash the bug.

~Scottie Thompson