FreeBSD and Nagios 2.0

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Nov 14 20:15:59 CET 2005

Ethan Galstad wrote:
> I am currently in the process of acquiring a machine to install
> FreeBSD on in order to try and fix the Nagios 2.0/FreeBSD threads
> issue that a number of users have reported.

We should be able to set one up for you if hardware is the problem. I'll
have time day this friday, but I can get one of my collegues to set it
up tomorrow if you like.

> Can some FreeBSD users shed some light on exactly what versions of
> FreeBSD they are experiencing the problem with?  For example, does
> the issue only affect the 5.x release (or perhaps just 5.4 and
> later)?  Are there problems with the 4.x release as well?  Also, has
> anyone tested the new FreeBSD 6.0 release to see if the problem still
> exists?
>
> I'm not a FreeBSD person, so I'm trying to nail down exactly what
> version(s) I'll need to install to replicate the bug.  Thanks!

I have a fix-all, end-all solution for it, but it requires an insane
amount of changes to how commands are run and removes multithreading
code from Nagios completely. It works around the FIFO bottleneck as
well, so it might be nice to implement anyways.

Anyways, if things go really bad, gimme a holler and we can work out the
implementation.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se