novel idea for performance optimization

Stanley Hopcroft Stanley.Hopcroft at IPAustralia.gov.au
Mon May 9 01:26:30 CEST 2005

Dear Folks,

I am writing to thank you for your letters and say,

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 11:34:09PM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> sean finney wrote:
> >hey folks,

  .. lots of interesting stuff snipped ..

> Come to think of it, it should actually be possible to multiplex a
> fairly large number of checks from a single thread using fdopen(3) and
> select(2). This would let one get rid of locking problems with a
> multi-threaded approach and would probably be highly efficient since the
> fork()'ed children just sit around and wait all the time anyway.

FWIW, threads aside (on grounds of ignorance), I think a multiplexed Nag
was tried with patches to 1.x from an .au developer (the discussion was
fairly brief on Nag-devel in the last 2-3 years; it probably occurred
before you started to contribute to the project).

IIRC, he said his approach was like that used by squid.

If anyone is interested, perhaps I can find the thread (He only posted
once or twice, perhaps did enough to get over the partic problem he was
facing with and then ... silence).

> --
> Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
> OP5 AB                             www.op5.se