TODO with embedded Perl support.

Wed May 4 11:59:25 CEST 2005

Dear Folks,

An update on the status of the subject is

1 current CVS leaks at a much more tractable rate than the Nagios 2.x
releases to date.

The reasons for the more polite behaviour are not known to me. Since I
could see (and others) nothing partic broken, the current code does the
same things in different ways.

2 reloading the config with a HUP signal is broken.

An embedded Perl Nagios has its vsz increase by 20-40% and then
substantially grow. The only way to date to reload the config is to stop
and start.

Hopefully this will get some attention next: re-initing Perl after a HUP
could be the cause of this.

3 The standard Perl plugins do not share common functions.

Observations of Perl data structure usage with the 1.4 plugins show
that the same subroutines

print_help
print_version
support

etc

are being duplicated for each Perl plugin that makes use of the utils.pm
infrastructure (which should be all of them).

This is an area where improvement can be made relatively cheaply, by

1 making utils.pm a class

thereby _potentially_ changing the public API (and associated batch
changes to the core/contrib plugins, and the docco).

2 changing the way utils.pm behaves

to not export the public functions into the plugin namespace. (I don't
know if this is feasable yet).

Yours sincerely.

--
Stanley Hopcroft