ldap authentification

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Tue Jun 28 13:41:45 CEST 2005

Benoit Mortier wrote:

>i have just a question concerning the neb interface ;-)
>
>Is it possible to create an authentification neb. What i want is to enable
>ldap authentification for nagios but i didn't want to use apache
>mod_auth_ldap for that, so i was wondering if i could write a ned to do
>this ?

What exactly do you want to authenticate access to? Nagios itself
doesn't do any authentication. There's basically two places privileges
are used:

   1. Controlling access to the web interface CGI programs.
   2. Receiving passive check results remotely.

Neither of these really have anything to do with the main Nagios daemon.
Access to the web interface is controlled by the web server and further
refined by the CGI programs themselves; authentication of passive check
results is done by whatever program is receiving them (ncsad or
something like that).

By my understanding the NEB modules plug in to the Nagios daemon itself
and have nothing to do with the CGI's directly. Why don't you want to
use Apache to do the authentication?