Increasing max_pluginoutput_length

Peter Kostik peter_kostik at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 03:54:14 CEST 2005

Hello all,

by saying what an incredibly superior product Nagios
is, I will be probably repeating hundreds of others
that use it and love it, so let me get to the point.

I am running 2.0b3 to monitor thousands of services on
hundreds of servers, using mainly passive checks
(nsca/send_nsca) and of course nrpe/check_nrpe to make
sure things are running as they should.

Some of my plugins return long outputs (2k) via
send_nsca. So what I did is increase
MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH in common/common.h in nsca
addon and also in core nagios in include/objects.h. I
believe original value was something around 300 bytes
so I bumped it up to 2k. However, my plugin outputs
still get truncated at around 800 bytes (don't know
exact value of top of my head). Had anyone played
around with changing these values and got it working
right? I am wondering if there is another limit set
somewhere else that overrides this.

Thanks for the great product.

Pete