External Command, scheduled downtime

alex at reseau.nl alex at reseau.nl
Wed Feb 16 10:47:14 CET 2005

Quoting Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se>:

> alex at reseau.nl wrote:
> > Was sent to nagios-users before, but i think it should have gone
> > here..
> >
> > I've been investigating Nagios for a while now, having tried the
> last
> > stable, beta1 and now beta2.
> >
> > I have problems scheduling Service and Host downtime using
> external
> > commands. I haven't used it before and started with it in beta1.
> >
> > I have seen that multiple people have had this issue, though they
> > never got a reaction. I hope I will because I don't have much
> time
> > left for this investigation and using external commands to
> schedule
> > downtime is important in our system.
> >
> > When I use the Addon nagdtsched i get a message in the Event log:
> >
> > [2005-02-11 11:08:10] EXTERNAL COMMAND:

SCHEDULE_SVC_DOWNTIME;linux1;PING;1108137600;1108195200;1;57600;nagios;Regularly
> > Scheduled Dowtime
> >
> > but nothing shows up in the 'Downtime' page. If I schedule
> downtime
> > via the webinterface then everything goes ok.
> >

> Syntax might have changed. I believe nagdtsched was written for
> nagios
> 1.x. Read the docs and make the necessary adjustments.

Well tried looking up this command in the 2.x docs, but
'docs/extcommands.html' only shows some of the external commands and
I can't find other documantation about it anywhere else.
But anyway, the command itself seems to be right because:

echo "[`date +%s`] SCHEDULE_SVC_DOWNTIME;
 linux1;PING;1108637600;1108695200;1;57600;nagios;Regularly" >>
nagios.cmd

gives the following in the Event Log:
(pointing-hand-icon) [2005-02-16 10:40:18] EXTERNAL COMMAND:
SCHEDULE_SVC_DOWNTIME;linux1;PING;1108637600;1108695200;1;57600;nagios;Regularly

though if i change it to SCHEDULE_SERVICE_DOWNTIME it gives:
(I-icon) [2005-02-16 10:39:39] Warning: Unrecognized external command
->
SCHEDULE_SERVICE_DOWNTIME;linux1;PING;1108637600;1108695200;1;57600;nagios;Regularly

Ofcourse the parameters to the SCHEDULE_SVC_COMMAND could be wrong,
for which I need the documentation, which I can't find. It would help
if Nagios would parse the parameters before logging to the Event Log
(so that a warning can be given on wrong input). Now the only thing I
can do is making wild assumptions on what the input should be.