Self-registering services

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Tue Feb 8 18:25:33 CET 2005

One of the problems I've seen with the distributed monitoring
model is that the configuration of the central server and
distributed servers must be kept strictly in sync.  Might I
suggest that some sort of interface be provided such that
distributed servers can add services to the central server
without having to restart it? I'd imagine some sort of scenario
where on startup a distributed server sends its service and host
configuration through in some sort of external command. If the
central server restarts then a mechanism could be set up so that
it can notify the distributed servers to resend their
configuration.

The data structures would have to be modified such that objects
sent from different distributed servers would not collide. This
feature sounds like a major overhaul, but it would greatly
enhance the flexibility of the distributed monitoring facility.

Thanks,
-Jason Martin
--
This message is PGP/MIME signed.