Redundancy (was: Need command to inhibit freshness checks)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Feb 2 20:28:47 CET 2005

While we're on the topic of redundancy and such, I've got a couple of
questions to shoot off in shotgun mode. I'm especially interested in
hearing from nagios-db developers.

Situation; We're about to roll out a 20K+ nodes network monitoring
system (nagios world record?). While most of the nodes will be monitored
with standalone redundant system (30 desktop stations with a webbrowser
each and a 100 foot long multi-monitor wall), loadbalancing and
redundancy will still be an issue for the 4 global NOC's.

What's the general view of moving such code in-core, and have the nagios
daemon handle portioning of checks, synchronizing internal
status-tables, sending regular heartbeats and such?

If not in-core;
Could this be done with a nagios-module?
How much access do they have at loadtime/run-time?
Can they register to handle config file options?
Command line options?
Can they make things NOT happen (like logging to files)?
Just how stable is the module-handling code?
What impact could a misbehaving module have on the daemon as a whole?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer