Nagios Interoperability

Thibault Genessay tgenessay at aliadis.fr
Tue Aug 30 12:11:42 CEST 2005

sean finney wrote:

>if you really want to get out of this issue, instead of
>"an apparently undordered manner", i'd suggest encoding it a meaningful
>but non-nagios-defined order (maybe XML), where you wouldn't need nagios
>source code to reassemble it into a meaningful object, and would be
>generally useful in its own right.  or, as you're already doing, using
>a db as a go-between.

The problem is that the GPL states that any *interface* must be
provided. Hence the XML schema or any other well-defined method would
imply making the specs themselves GPL'd, and thus we did not solve
anything. (But I might be wrong on that topic).
Something I wanted to point out in my post was that in fact we were
(lost of us) already working around the GPL limit with the DB trick, and
finally, if the license offically stated that it is possible to use the
Nagios structures outside of it,  it would not make such a big
difference in practice  (things would be faster and more flexible,
that's all).

>well, if your business is built around an open source application, i
>don't have that much sympathy if you discover your percieved business
>model doesn't match with the open source ethos/license :)

If I take care to ask you guys, it is precisely because it does. But
Nagios is a component of the system, not the core, and we have our
little cooking secrets that we cannot share right now. Anyway, working
on this topic would bring to the Nagios project lots of ideas that we
are working on internally. So I think the community can benefit from it.

>i remain to be convinced that changing the nagios license to allow
>proprietary derivative works / modules will in any way benefit the users
>of nagios.

I did not want to change the status of the whole Nagios project; what I
need is a few data structures be made LGPL'd. Check out the
OpenSceneGraph project if you are not convinced that open source and
proprietary solutions can elegantly merge together and how the GNU
Lesser is a solution to some of the problems the "hard" open source
licenses introduce.

> but then again, i'm not the author so maybe you'll have some
>luck with ethan.

I hope so :)

-
Thibault GENESSAY