AW: Re: [Nagios-users] Nagios 3.0,natively windows codes,support mysql,support agentless monitor , new web interface,more,Greatly

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Mon Aug 29 00:49:52 CEST 2005

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 09:57:28AM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> That's because we don't sell a modified copy. We package the unmodified
> copy with proprietary addons, like a webgui for configuration, a little
> something for traphandling and syslog handling, a "clever" skin-based
> notification script (I've been meaning to make that one public, but
> haven't gotten around to asking yet). Those addons use none of the GPL'd
> code so it's quite alright to have other licenses for them.

the difference is basically whether the "add-ons" are "derived works" or
"additional software".  i'm guessing that it is the latter, in which
case the GPL explicitly allows for you to distribute GPL'd software
alongside non-free software on the same "medium".  if the software
links against the GPL'd software, that's another story (which brings
us to the nebs)

> We're having a lawyer investigate if nebmodules must be GPL right now.
> If they do, I'll release a couple of good ones later on.

i'd put my money on them needing to be so.  if i understand the
architecture (which i might not of course) correctly, this would
be very analagous to proprietary loadable kernel modules for linux,
which would not be legal except for the fact that linus made a special
exception in his licensing to allow them.

of course, this largely depends on whether or not you need to compile
them against nagios source/headers, whether or not the modules
are useful in their own right apart from nagios, and other factors
which could determine their status as "derived works" or not.  and of
course, an authoritative statement/license clarification from ethan
would set all this straight.

> >>Besides that, I've submitted some 30-odd patches back to nagios (core
> >>project, don't get me started on the plugins) for bugfixes, new

but you get yourself started, later on :)

> We've had lawyers look at it. Since we don't modify the nagios source,
> we have no obligation to provide it for download. We DO modify the
> plugins. Our modified plugins are available for download from
> http://oss.op5.se/nagios which is where we post everything that has to
> do with Nagios and is touched by us one way or another.

this is true, under the circumstance that you provide source code
along with the binary GPL'd software, or have otherwise provided
the information they need to locate the original source code (or
give an offer to provide said code).  sections 1 and 2 only address how
you can handle the source code--section 3 clarifies for what you can do
with binary-only distribution.

> I've tried numerous times to get our patches through to the nagiosplug
> project but it has taken too long to get them applied. In the end the
> amount of patches became overwhelming, so now I won't merge them with
> the official distro unless I get commit-access to the cvs. It's simply
> too much work to provide the patches, and it's worth absolutely nothing
> to me.

> and I get a free peer review (from competent coders, I might add. The
> plugins aren't exactly stellar in quality).

don't you think your periodic comments of such nature are part of the
reason why so many of the nagiosplug team are hesitant to spend time
working with you, in spite of your proficiency?

i'd been working with you on incorporating some of your really good
ideas into the core plugins, and when i went on "vacation" for the
past few months[1] i wasn't at all surprised to find out that there
wasn't anyone chomping at the bit to pick up the work with you.

	sean

[1] not vacation so much as relocating to sweden