AW: Re: [Nagios-users] Nagios 3.0,natively windows codes,support mysql,support agentless monitor , new web interface,more,Greatly

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sat Aug 27 00:37:18 CEST 2005

He may have a point. I'm not a GPL guru but section 2.b looks pretty
clear --

2.  You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of
it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute
such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided
that you also meet all of these conditions:

    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part
thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties
under the terms of this License.

I can't seem to find a publicly accessible download link for the
modified program (or any part that contains Nagios code) on op5.se nor
any specific directions on how to obtain a copy of the code. It's the
same reason that RedHat (and the like) must provide the source code for
Red Hat Enterprise Linux. They may sell it but they didn't create it in
it's entirety and must abide by the GPL.

> Besides that, I've submitted some 30-odd patches back to nagios (core
> project, don't get me started on the plugins) for bugfixes, new
features
> and what not, and I'm always keen on beta-testing new stuff so that it
> can go stable as soon as possible.

It's appreciated, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't release anyone from
the requirements of the GPL. If I've mis-interpreted or overlooked
something, please let me know.

--
Marc