empty service groups and trends.cgi

Marc DeTrano marc at gridshield.net
Mon Aug 22 19:35:33 CEST 2005

I have run into a problem which took quite a while to track down, and
thought it may be helpful to submit it to this list (I have not seen any
information on this elsewhere).

I am using Nagios 2.0b4.  I have found that if there are servicegroups
defined, but not actually populated, then Nagios will run just fine, and
most of the standard cgi's work fine also, except for the trends.cgi
which will return a "Whoops...Error: Could not read object configuration
data!"

This seems to only happen if the last servicegroup on the list is empty.

I am not sure if the problem is in trends.cgi itself or in the methods
used to parse the object.cache file.  I don't mind getting rid of empty
serivcegroup definitions (I usually just leave a standard set in place
for each installation, and populate them as needed).  Other users may
find it helpful if the error message more clearly indicated the problem
(all other cgi's ran ok, so it was hard to imagine why this one alone
could not read the file).

Otherwise, I like the new servicegroup feature of Nagios 2 (great for
controlling escalations!)--thanks to all who contribute to this project.

Marc