AW: Re: [Nagios-users] Nagios 3.0,natively windows codes,support mysql,support agentless monitor , new web interface,more,Greatly

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Wed Aug 17 15:28:52 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 11:46 +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Husch Andreas wrote:
> >>Original by Andreas Ericsson:
> >>[...]
> >>As for the GUI, I can't say if they've used GPL'd code or not. Judging
> >
> > from the overall ethics of the company, I would like to urge all
> > developers of GPL'd Nagios-GUI's to take a good look at the snapshots
> > and see if any of seems to be generated by code (stylesheets) they
> > wrote.
> >
> > Hi,
> > if i compare http://www.oreon.org/images/screenshots/home.jpg with the
> > screenshot http://www.sakersoft.org/images/screenshot/mhg_2.gif or
> > http://www.sakersoft.org/images/screenshot/bigmain-1.gif i think it is
> > sure that parts of the gui are taken from other projects.
> >

> Thanks. I've notified the Oreon project maintainer. Gawd, things like
> this really pisses me off...

It looks like Oreon is distributed under the Apache License Version 2.0.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see any requirement that
source be provided with derivative works.

  2. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, each
     Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide, non-
     exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright
     license to [...] distribute the Work and such Derivative Works
     in Source or Object form.

  4. Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of
     the Work or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or
     without modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided
     that You meet the following conditions: [none of which seem to
     require distributing source with derivative works redistributed
     in object form]

This may be legal per the license.

I don't see any use of Nagios trademarks on their website, but if this
email was sent by a SakerSoft employee there's still the claim that
they're trying to misrepresent the product using the Nagios trademark.

Can anyone comment on either issue?

Chet