Question about Service State Latency

Joseph Hardeman jwhardeman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 14:16:56 CEST 2005

Greetings,

I have been asked to find out what the Latency entry on the Service
State Information page represents.  I am hoping that you can help me
understand where Nagios is getting this number from and how it is
calculated.  Also, is there a way or a plugin to do an immediate check
on Latency between the Nagios server and the client?  We have about
500+ locations that we are checking and want to make sure that they
are all within reasonable rta's.

Here is an example of the pulls that I am doing from a router:

Current Status:
  OK
Status Information: 	SNMP OK - "Netopia 4652 v5.3.9r4"
Current Attempt: 	1/5
State Type: 	HARD
Last Check Type: 	ACTIVE
Last Check Time: 	08-10-2005 07:54:00
Status Data Age: 	0d 0h 12m 26s
Next Scheduled Active Check:   	08-10-2005 09:00:00
Latency: 	120 seconds
Check Duration: 	< 1 second
Last State Change: 	07-28-2005 19:49:37
Current State Duration: 	12d 12h 16m 49s
Last Service Notification: 	N/A
Current Notification Number: 	0
Is This Service Flapping?
  NO
Percent State Change: 	0.00%
In Scheduled Downtime?
  NO
Last Update: 	08-10-2005 08:06:01

Thanks in advance for any help understanding how the Latency is
determined, calculated, and what it represents.

Thanks

Joseph