Compiling on OpenBSD

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Aug 11 09:52:51 CEST 2005

Ethan Galstad wrote:
> Thanks for the note - I'll change the include file ordering.  Not
> sure why you'd still get warnings about WEXITSTATUS and WIFEXITED if
> there's already a test in there for them, but as long as things
> compile cleanly, I'll probably leave this as it is for now.

I've noticed this on a couple of occasions myself. The warnings come
because WEXITSTATUS and WIFEXITED aren't defined in config.h when they
are parsed there, but there are no conditionals around them in
sys/wait.h (which is where they actually should be defined). On some
systems they are duplicated in stdlib.h (FC3 does this, Openwall does
not). Where they are not, one gets two three-line warnings for every
C-file compiled. I imagine it can be a bit worrying for those who don't
know what it means.

The neatest solution is to move the conditional definition of system
macros to the end of config.h. That way the system headers are
guaranteed to have the first shot at defining them.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer