Line Limit for a Nagios Configuration

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Sep 8 21:39:34 CEST 2004

Andre Bergei wrote:
> -snip
>
>>There is a limit on how long a line can be. It's defined in
>>xdata/xodtemplate.h:
>>
>>#define MAX_XODTEMPLATE_INPUT_BUFFER    49152
>>
>>I believe the default is 8192 bytes but as you can see, I've raised
>>mine to 49152 (and higher) with no problems.
>

> Hi.
>
> Right now i'm happy I found this post regarding line limit for host groups, it realy saved my day.
> But I have to raise the question, is there a good reason for this low default limit?
> Maybe this limit should be set higher in the cvs code, more people will probaly run into this problem.

It has been worked around in Nagios 2.0. Now you can instead specify
'hostgroups' in the host object definition, and you can specify
wildcards for hosts (only * so far though).

The reason it is 8192 is that
a) it is a multiple of 4096, which is the default blocksize on ext[23]
file systems.
b) it's a nice ballpark figure that's reasonably set and doesn't hog a
lot of memory during startup. For most users, this is quite enough.

If it should be raised to anything, it should be to a multiple of 4096.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer