event broker -> SQL questions

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Thu Oct 21 07:29:56 CEST 2004

Status events allow you to track any changes in the status of a
host/service.  This is useful if you are trying to keep a database
table updated with the most recent status information.

Service check events let you know when checks get kicked off and when
they complete.  You could use that to store historical information on
checks if you wanted to do so.

Processing of events is handled serially, so they will be delivered
to your module in the correct sequence.

On 20 Oct 2004 at 21:15, Ben wrote:

> Okay, that's pretty much the conclusion I was coming to. It leaves me
> confused about the design goals of status events vs. service events,
> but in any case, It looks like I just might have to deal with
> duplicate events in my module.
>
> Can I at least be guaranteed that ALL the status events for the
> current state will be delivered before ANY of the status events for
> the next state? I'm not seeing much threading in nagios other than to
> handle IO and deal with checks, so I imagine the answer is "yes", but
> maybe somebody has a ready counter example?
>
> On Oct 20, 2004, at 7:31 PM, Ethan Galstad wrote:
>
> > Back to your question then.  The status events have little to do
> > with actual checks.  Yes, they do occur before and after checks have
> > occurred, but they're not directly tied to them.  Anytime *any* of
> > the variables/attributes of a host or service are changed, the
> > status events get generated.  This means status events will get
> > triggered in the following situations (this is not inclusive):
> >
> > 	- A check gets rescheduled
> > 	- A check gets initiated
> > 	- Check results get processed
> > 	- Host/service attributes get changed by external commands
> > 	- Attributes get changed by internal logic (i.e. flap detection) 	-
> > etc.
> >

> > On 15 Oct 2004 at 17:00, Ben wrote:
> >>

> >> In base/checks.c, reap_service_checks calls schedule_service_check
> >> before it generates the SERVICE_STATUS event.
> >> schedule_service_check also generates a SERVICE_STATUS event. It
> >> seems like this might not be right.....

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---