Possible bug in performace data

Ben Clewett Ben at clewett.org.uk
Tue Nov 23 10:01:35 CET 2004

Dear members, I have has the following possible bug reported to me.  Can
anybody clarify this?  Regards, Ben.

I'm having the following problem with Nagios in combination with the
perfparse tool:

When a certain check generates performance data with space characters in
the metric with single quotes around them, the single quotes *disappear*
when the information is written to the perfdata-service.log file. As a
result, the performance data gets parsed incorrectly by perfparse.

For example, if I do the following check manually:
$ check_nt -H rlswas1c -v CPULOAD -l 5,50,90
The result is something like:
CPU Load 0% (5 min average) |'5 min avg Load'=0%;50;90;0;100
Notice the single quotes around '5 min avg Load'.

However, if I let Nagios do the check, the following data appears in the
perfdata-service.log file:
1101131232      rlswas1c        CPU load        CPU Load 0% (5 min average)
OK         5 min avg Load=0%;50;75;0;100
Notice that there are NO single quotes around '5 min avg Load'.

Does anyone have an idea where the quotes are being dropped and what I can
do about it?

I'm using:
Nagios 1.2
PerfParse 0.103.1