Plugin message size

Jaap Hogenberg jaap.hogenberg at marketxs.com
Wed Nov 17 14:49:06 CET 2004

Hi !

I'm running into a little problem using nagios 1.2 with plugins that
return a lot of data. One of those is the check_disk plugin on a system
with many disks. In the performance files that are written out, the data
from the plugin is truncated.

The command to generate the performance data output is:

define command {
command_name                   process-service-perfdata
command_line                   /usr/bin/printf "%b"
"$LASTCHECK$\t$HOSTNAME$\t$SERVICEDESC$\t$SERVICESTATE$\t$SERVICEATTEMPT$\t$STATETYPE$\t$EXECUTIONTIME$\
t$LATENCY$\t$OUTPUT$\t$PERFDATA$\n" >>
/usr/local/nagios/var/perfdata/$HOSTNAME$-$SERVICEDESC$.out }

But somehow I think the data is already truncated where nagios reads the
data from the plugin ....

Running the plugin from the command line gives me all the data, so it
looks like the data is truncated somewhere in nagios.
I've tried to look at the source but I'm not that skilled in C
programming.

Does anyone know where the data may be truncated ?

I would very much appriciate any help !

Regards,
Jaap Hogenberg