Preflight before restart

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Thu Nov 4 19:49:08 CET 2004

> One vulnerablility I've noticed in Nagios is that restarting via a
> HUP or a external command can be dangerous; if the 'new'
> configuration is broken in any way Nagios will die.  It occurs
> to me that it would be very handy if Nagios performed a
> preflight on the new configuration before attempting to load it
> as the 'live' config. That way Nagios won't go down if the new
> config isn't valid.

I agree - this would be nice.  I worked around this on my Nagios servers,
by writing a 'preflight' script that does a config check, and a 'reload'
script that actually sends the SIGHUP.

And I'm just in the habit of doing a 'preflight' before the 'reload'.

Benny

--
"Fry cracked corn, and I don't care, Leela cracked corn, and still
don't care, Bender cracked corn, and he is great! Take THAT you