NRPE error behavior

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed May 26 05:51:41 CEST 2004

Jason Martin wrote:

> A desirable upgrade to NRPE would be to make the NRPE-generated error
> messages more distinctive. For example, when attempting to query a host
> that is not running NRPE the response is just "Connection refused by
> host". This can be confusing as it is not clear if the remote plugin
> generated the text (such as check_tcp) or check_nrpe generated the text.
> Ideally it'd say check_nrpe: Connection refused by NRPE daemon

Error messages generated by the daemon are prefixed 'NRPE:', so it's
safe to assume that everything else comes from the plugin.

In earlier versions, check_nrpe prefixed its error messages with
'CHECK_NRPE:', but that's been done away with in working copy of
repository to follow general plugin defaults more closely.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
NRPE Maintainer
andreas.ericsson at op5.se