Maintainers for NRPE and NSCA

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri May 21 12:27:31 CEST 2004

Ethan Galstad wrote:
> On 20 May 2004 at 10:07, Jason Martin wrote:
>
>>While we're on the subject of new NRPE features, would these be hard
>>to implement?
>>
>>* Ability to get a banner from NRPE via a telnet client, in order to
>>  remotely survey version #'s.
>

> Run check_nrpe with just the -H option (no command name) and it will
> return the version number of the remote NRPE daemon.
>

>>* Ability to log what commands are being called, optionally logging
>>the arguments that are being supplied. It would also be handy to be
>>able to log the exact exec() statement.  This is useful for a SA to be
>>able to see what monitoring commands are being executed against their
>>box, assuming that they don't have administrative control over the
>>monitoring system.
>

> Those are good ideas for future implementation.

Yup. I'll be adding a 'loglevel' variable, so this will be supported then.

While we're discussing future features I might as well mention some of
those I've been thinking about for some time now.
In the near future (2.x);
* plugin_path variable (to save some typing in config-file).
* VMS port (already done, actually).
* Logging to file instead of syslog, if chosen by user.
* Printing errors on stdout when in daemon-mode and un-fork()'ed.
* backwards compatibility in check_nrpe (already implemented).
* remove need for getopt.h, and write own arg-parsing routine.
* other minor changes ;-)

Somewhat farther down the road (3.x);
* strong encryption (dsa/rsa w public/private key challenge).
* command protocol to propagate configuration (and maybe keys).
* support plugin output of arbitrary length

If anybody has other ideas they want implemented, you can send an email
to me or Derrick, and we'll get in contact and talk things over before
we get to work.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB