Sugestions to make Nagios better

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu May 20 01:09:58 CEST 2004

Leonardo Henrique Machado wrote:
> I wish I could click on the Client image so that automaticaly opens a
> xterm window running ssh toward that client. That is possible with
> WhatsUp. Not using xterm.

This is equally possible from anything displaying a webpage, but it will
require that you configure your browser properly for it, or write some
rather extensive Java-applet for it and rewrite apache to act as a
connection tunnel (which is a really bad idea for a wide variety of
reasons, in case you were wondering).

Either you haven't read the documentation for it (it's at www.nagios.org
- click on 'Documentation'), or you haven't configured your browser
properly. Try it with Mozilla Firefox, and install the MozEX extension.
Then you can point the 'Universal Protocol Handler' to the attached
script (assuming you're running Linux as your desktop OS, ofcourse).

> Now I will try to alter the nagios source code to fullfill the lack of
> this feature. I hope to see it on the next version of nagios.

That would truly be a futile attempt, and considering you didn't know
that, I suggest you don't even try.
Nagios is just a process which sits and gathers information. The CGI
programs (which happen to accompany the nagios daemon) feed that
information through a pipe to a web-server, which in turn feeds it to
the client (the webbrowser). The webbrowser is responsible for making
things happen when you click links and so on. If you're going to modify
some code, you should modify that of your webbrowser.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB
andreas.ericsson at op5.se