Error message "You do not have permissions..."

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Fri May 14 03:56:53 CEST 2004

Hello,

Might be the wrong list/approach for this, but I was wondering if anyone
is interested in fixing (or perhaps has fixed it in a post 1.2 version)
the error message "You do not have permissions blah blah" error. You
correctly get it when you don't have permissions to read something. You
incorrectly get it when Nagios is started and config files are changed
and contain an Error.

For example, when I add a new site, I copy down the etc directory to my
laptop. I then change, usually, nagios.cfg, hostgroups.cfg,
contacts.cfg, contactgroups.cfg, ./hosts/sitename.hosts, and
./services/sitename.svcs. Then I upload the files in ./etc, followed by
./etc/hosts and ./etc/services. If the Nagios page I'm viewing in the
background refreshes after this process starts but before the process
finishes, I get the invalid permissions error message.

Might seem trivial, but for other people who are unaware of what I'm
doing, the page confuses the hell out of them. They'd be more accepting
if it implied someone was mucking with the config at the time :)

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications
919-538-6326