Planning code for coping with partial mesh network.

Daniel Drown dan-nagios at drown.org
Wed Mar 24 03:23:39 CET 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Stephen Schaefer wrote:
:
> Now, I've seen hashes go into the Nagios code - and come out of it.  In
> particular, there was the performance enhancement hash from Daniel
> Drown.  In my light reading of the code, it used a couple of global
> hashes that were manipulated in a variety of places, and I'm guessing,
> since there was no explanation from Mr. Galstad for their removal, that
> the mechanism was subject to data corruption.
:

I don't have any input into what you should do, so I've trimmed your message
down to what I wanted to respond to.

In regards to my nagios patches causing data corruption, this is the first
time I've heard of it, and I would be very surprised if this was the case, as
I have 5 nagios servers running versions from nagios-1.0b6+chained_hash to
nagios-1.1+chained_hash.  In aggregate, they monitor 2476 servers with 9381
services.  I have not experienced any data corruption or even had the nagios
daemon crash once.  The oldest of the systems has been in production since
3/2003.

If there are any places where the code could corrupt data (or do other
undesirable things), I would like to know about it.

I'm afraid I also have no explanation if Mr. Galstad removed them. (I haven't
been watching 2.0 development, so I wouldn't know if this was the case or not)

Good luck with your coding

-Dan Drown