Large scale network monitoring limits with nagios

Daniel Henninger daniel at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Mar 11 14:34:51 CET 2004

> So the higher level question here is am I over my head in what or how I
> can do this with nagios? After tackling the network monitoring needs,
> the plan was to then start the server monitoring (around 1000 servers
> of many platforms).

Well, we have about 1000-odd service checks right now and the standard
nagios interfaces tend to be rather slow because of it.  (I can't imagine
the number you are dealing with)  What we ended up doing is not having
people use the real nagios interfaces, but instead wrote our own.  All of
the status data is stored in mysql (i don't know what you chose at compile
time) so it is fairly easy to get at remotely.  Our interfaces run on a
completely separate box and just connect to the local mysql server on the
nagios server, pull what information they need (or pull all of it and
parse through what they care about), and it seems to run pretty smoothly.
I can't say how well that would fly with 8000+ hosts.

If it runs slow with 8000+ hosts, you might want to run a job that
generates a static page, that gets auto-regenerated "as often as
possible".  That way, at least there's only one connection that has to
wait a long time, and the folk connecting to your interface would only
have to wait on the brief static page load.

Might not have been the answer you were looking for.  =)

Daniel

--
\ \\\      Daniel Henninger           http://www.vorpalcloud.org/        /// /