DB store for cfg data

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Jun 14 23:01:28 CEST 2004

local.coder wrote:
> Ethan has said that he saw DB storage as a module. An option to be put in place.
> In 2.0 we should see a common set of functions and classes for pushing the data
> into nagios and pulling host status data and entries from nagios.

It's a good thing, as it opens up the field to the DBD's and DBAP's out
there, without him having to do lot of work for it. Apache didn't really
take off either before it had loadable module support, so this might be
an intrigueing project to the many wannabe altruist hackers of the world.

> This will eventually be tied to "name your DB" and frontend for working with
> hosts. There are several times when I cures the text files, but there are
> others where I can add strange things quickly and easily. I know that setting
> up the right DB to give me the same functionality will be difficult. Things
> like having all the possible options but just setting the basics and still
> allowing flexibility. I am a DB person by work and even I can see why Ethan
> wanted to stay away from it on this. DB alone would take all the time and
> effort to tweak and make work right.
>
> 2 things are certain. We will see a web interface for configuring Nagios and we
> will see a way to store all the data in a DB. It's all about when and who.

The who might be me, if I can convince the boss to distribute our
webconfiguration interface as free source, but insofar we haven't added
the database-support (getting a random nagios config into 3NF without
M-to-M relations is a pain in the ass).

It's written in PHP though, so I suspect that will come about the same
time as nagios gets a PHP-based GUI, if not before. We might commit some
company funding to take care of that if I haggle enough about it, and
the basics have been written already.

Besides, with a GOOD free webconfiguration interface it wouldn't matter
if configuration options were a bit reduced, since most of them are
actually there to save the users a lot of the typing.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB
andreas.ericsson at op5.se