Changing config files while nagios is running causes webinterface to mess up

Raphael Mueller ramu at imc.nl
Tue Jun 8 16:12:23 CEST 2004

Dear all,

currently, I often change the configuration files of Nagios (Ver. 1.1)
because we get a lot of new equipment these days.
If I change the config files while Nagios is running, the Nagios web
page starts to mess up, e.g. several devices disappear.

My question: Am I doing something against the good practices if I edit
the config files without stopping the Nagios service first?

I don't understand too much about the architecture of Nagios, but
according to chapter "Stopping And Restarting Nagios" of the online
documentation
    http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/stoprestart.html
Nagios should only check the config files and (re)read them if I start,
restart or reload the service.
So, maybe, it's just the web interface which gets confused about my
config changes?

Of course, I could use a second set of config files to work on. Then, I
would write a script which checks the copied set of config files, stops
the service, copies them to the directory used by Nagios and start the
service again....

Maybe, I'm just thinking to far or there is a know workaround... any
help is appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Raphael