[Nagios-users] Re: How to Loggout?

Leonardo Henrique Machado leoh at dcc.ufmg.br
Fri Jun 4 20:38:59 CEST 2004

Hi,

> > I realy think it's a very important feature that nagios lacks. Why cannot
> > Nagios handle the autentication by it self?
> >

> Because handling authentication properly is a non-trivial task, which
> really isn't nagios's job.
> Besides, apache is very good at it, and not many users have requested
> the feature. If you want to log out, close the browser.

That's not a good solution. In fact, it's a shame to tell my boss: "Close
your browser and open it again to logout as other user..."

> If it's really _REALLY_ important that you're logged in as different
> users simultaneously (although I cannot for the world of me think of a
> reason why you'd want that unless you're already hacking at the cgi's),
> you can always hire a consultant to rewrite the GUI for you, or do it
> yourself.

I have 94 distinct labs, allover my state, and I want to log as a
localadministrator to see the statusmap without showing 94*15 machines
(which is a messy view). As localadmin I see just the machines that he is
responsible for. I want to have about 10 Tabs in my browser, each one
logged as a different user. I KNOW how to do it, but it would take about
20 lines to explain... Why not just click "logout"?

> > We could also have an admin interface to let the contacts change their
> > passwords.
>
> This is trivial to implement with the current authentication system and
> some moderately clever PHP/Perl/shell/C/whatever code.

That's not a nice way to think about this problem. I am able to develop a
magical script to solve all my problems. Nagios is such a marvelous
program and everything that could help it become more user frendly,
should be done. Another magical-script.pl is not a solution... trust me.

> > I hope it could be in Nagios 2.0.
> >

> It probably will be available when the CGI's have been rewritten in PHP,
> which won't happen any time soon, if you are to believe www.nagios.org.

Better late than never...

--
Leonardo Henrique Machado