NRPE suggestions

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Wed Jul 21 18:15:08 CEST 2004

May I suggest that NRPE return a message to check_nrpe when validate_request fails?  When check_nrpe says "0 bytes receieved from daemon" it is rather unclear why the failure occured. If NRPE returned a status-unknown message indicating that the request was invalid that would be great.

Even better would be a description of why the request failed. Unpopulated arguments,illegal metacharacters, and arguments-provided-but-not-allowed all seem like they deserve a message sent back to the host w/UNKNOWN severity. This would make troubleshooting easier (the Nagios admin doesn't always have login rights to the monitored machine) as well as make it more friendly for users who aren't intimately familiar with Nagios but have the rights to specify command arguments.

It would also be nice if output to STDERR didn't cause a 'failed CRC check' error.

Does this sound good? If so I may be able to provide a patch that handles most/all of this in several days.

Thank you,
-Jason Martin

--
Useless Invention: Remote control for a computer.
This message is PGP/MIME signed.