nagios 2 + DB support, coming soon to a SF mirror near you

Ben bench at silentmedia.com
Thu Dec 23 19:55:50 CET 2004

Right, well, Nagios 1 database support wasn't really anything other than
putting the flatfiles into flat tables. The schema of Nagios-DB is quite
different, but the fundamental issue is still one of namespace. If Nagios
instance A has host foo and Nagios instance B also has host foo, it's not
at all clear (to me) how a unified interface would deal with that.

The interface I wrote also mimics the default UI in that it shows some
nagios config options. But if you have multiple nagios instances, again,
it's not clear how to display conflicting settings without adding another
level of namespace.

Here's one route you might take. Have each Nagios instance write to a
seperate database. Also, have a table someplace that lists the databases
that are being used and some label for each. Then, alter the PHP UI to
read that index table pull reports from each database listed in it, and
generate unified pages accordingly. The PHP is pretty simple (I didn't
even know the language a few weeks ago), so I wouldn't expect this to be
all that hard. Or scrap the PHP and use whatever language you desire.
There's almost zero reporting logic in the actual UI, so it should be
pretty easy to remake them again.