Nagios crash, apparently in service_result_worker_thread

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Dec 20 11:40:45 CET 2004

gdb nagios core

(gdb) bt
#0 0x00000000 in ?? ()
#1 0x001c100b in __libc_malloc (bytes=512) at malloc.c 2695
#2 0x08060971 in service_result_worker_thread(arg=0x0) at utils.c:4666
#3 0x00162de2 in pthread_start_thread(arg=0xbf5ffe40) at manager.c:241
#4 0x0020f70a in thread_start () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb)

What strikes me as weird is the fact that this crash happened after
Nagios had been running for 4 days (and always seems to happen at friday
nights between 9 PM and 11:30 PM in this particular network). I would
have expected service_result_worker_thread() to fail at start-time, if
at all.

Mind though, I've made some modifications to allow it to dump core
(which should be either default, ./configure-able or a command argument
since debugging without it is not nearly as efficient, and "ulimit c
none" can be used to prevent it from doing so any way), but only very
minor such that shouldn't affect stability at all.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer