[Nagiosplug-devel] SNMP community in host configuration

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sun Dec 19 20:29:46 CET 2004

Matthew Kent wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 11:33, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>>>- Of course, host templates can have hostuser<n> too. (will be put in host
>>>definition is the host doesn't have the hostuser<n> already).
>>>
>>>- Available as macro :
>>>	$HOSTUSER<n>$
>>>

>>The intuitive connection between the name 'hostuser' and what I think it
>>would most likely represent clashes a bit with the way contacts work
>>(john, mike and joe are users, and they're responsible for the web-*
>>servers, f.e.). I would really prefer if they were named "hostmacro"
>>instead.
>>

> I'd be nice if you could use labels in their definitions as well. Like
> hostmacro:inventory 244 -> $HOSTMACRO:inventory$. This also ties nicely
> into the next point:
>

>>Ofcourse, the presence of hostmacros sort of voids the necessity for the
>>snmp_* variables, but the decision is Ethan's, so I can only air my
>>opinions.
>

> With labels you could still get the same effect without adding length to
> the documentation and config checks :) Plus the idea in the past seems
> to have been to keep things separated to a degree like host and
> hostextinfo definitions.

I believe the hostextinfo definitions were originally separate from the
other objects because the nagios core doesn't need to know anything
about them. As it stands today, it would be easier to implement them in
the host object definition (would have been, that is).

It would also be nice to have services being free roaming objects, so
that several services could be connected to one or more host FROM the
host object (or host template, for that matter). Then one could truly
make use of the templates, and simply add a host object using, f.e.,
the "linux-server" template to automagically add nrpe/ssh/nsca/whatever
checks for disk, cpu, memory and so on and so forth. I know it's fairly
simple today too, by using the a hostgroup named "nrpe-servers" or
something, but that still means you have to edit more than one thing.

I'm not sure that made sense. Let me know if it needs explaining (I'm
terribly hung over today).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer