Securing nagios

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Wed Aug 11 04:59:08 CEST 2004

The pid file is only created if Nagios is started using the init
script.  Wouldn't this normally be done by root (or the init
process)?  If not, how would the user even have permissions to create
the /var/run/nagios directory?  You need to be root to install any
RPM packages.  I guess I'm not quite clear on why this is necessary.

On 6 Aug 2004 at 12:52, Shad L. Lords wrote:

> Currently the spec build it so that nagios writes its pid to a file in
> the /var/run directory.  This causes nagios to fail on some systems as
> the nagios user doesn't have rights to write to that directory.  The
> submitted patch fixes this by creating a directory /var/run/nagios and
> grants ownership of this directory to nagios.  It then instructs
> nagios to write the pid file to this directory.
>
> -Shad

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---