How to make a patch (in response to Lars Volker)

Ian Holsman lists at holsman.net
Thu Apr 29 00:14:35 CEST 2004

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> To create a patch;
> Get the latest source-code from the CVS (instruction on sourceforge.
> Click 'cvs access' or something like that).
> Delete all the CVS directories and .cvsignore files from it
> --
> cp -a nagios nagios.orig
> rm -rf `find -type d -name CVS`
> rm -rf `find -type f -name .cvsignore`
> --

or
check out the code from CVS

$ export
CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at cvs.nagios.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/nagios
$ cvs co nagios

.. do your changes
..
$ cvs diff -u > patchfile.

$ vi patchfile (removing crud which should be put into the .cvsignore)

this way you can update the CVS source when people update the codebase.

regards
Ian