Peformance Data in a Database

Druzhinin Eugene druzhinin at rusmedia.ru
Fri Apr 16 10:32:49 CEST 2004

Sorry once more.
Hello Ben.

I think some effort must undertaken against dispersion
 of configuration data over several sources.
Essentially
> metric:
> +------+---------+--------+------+
> | host | service | metric | unit |
> +------+---------+--------+------+
 is part of that.

I offer you to discuss the way configuration of hole network
 could be represented in more generic and structured manner
 than plaintext used and place where this have to reside.
I guess it may help in making "path calculating" feature
 or other that structure dependant.

Isn't this topic too academic?

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:11:28 +0100
Ben Clewett <Ben at clewett.org.uk> wrote:

> Chris Wilson wrote:

> Ideally there would be one table for all performance data.  This line
> would form two records in this table.  With a parent table describing
> the metric, this with a parent table of the service, as exists, and a
> parent table of host, as exists.
>
> perfdata:
> +------+---------+--------+----------+---------------------+
> | host | service | metric | value    | time                |
> +------+---------+--------+----------+---------------------+
> | host | http    | time   | 0.002143 | 2004-04-15 16:00:00 |
> | host | http    | size   | 1132.000 | 2004-04-15 16:00:00 |
> +------+---------+--------+----------+---------------------+
>
> metric:
> +------+---------+--------+------+
> | host | service | metric | unit |
> +------+---------+--------+------+
> | host | http    | time   | s    |
> | host | http    | size   | B    |
>
> Therefore another reason for having 'hosts', as the logical
> informational domain describing a relation onto which services can be
> referenced.
>
>  > Right now I can't get Nagios to log any performance data at all, so
> it may be a moot point :-)

Best regards.
Druzhinin Eugene.