SNMP management for Nagios

Goldberg Alain (IT) alain at towersemi.com
Wed Apr 14 08:46:11 CEST 2004

First many thanks to Ethan for babycaring the wonderfull tool.

I have hooked Nagios to some weird/other/uncommon systems and
applications here and it became in two months a major resource of
information for our system and network management, creating a dramatic
and happy shift-out from HP/OV for most purposes (Actually for all
purposes we really care about recently).

Nagios itself has become a major component of the network-at-wide, and I
have a strong (positive) feeling that if Nagios was SNMP manageable
(I.E. not only using SNMP to gather statuses etc...) it would ease
integration:

1) Other system/network tools such as MRTG etc... would be able to
retreive data in a *normal* way from Nagios.

2) Other legacy monitoring tools could retrieve group, host or service
statuses from Nagios.

3) Facilitate exchange of status between Nagios systems. (I.e I could
poll the Network Nagios server from the Systems Nagios server to
retreive network-areas status)

4) Provide a standard way to interface to Nagios for management purposes
(I.E. I could build a GUI anyway i like as long as I fetch and set info
to Nagios using SNMP)

So ok,

- SNMP is not "as secure" as NRPE,

- Thinking and building the MIB is a lot of work.

- They are other ways to achieve most of the above with the current
Nagios.

Still... I think it's worth a tough.

 Regards,

Alain Goldberg - Network manager - CCDA/CCNA AGG-RIPE

Tower              Semiconductors           LTD.

Tel : 972-4-6506003        Fax : 972-4-6547788        Cell:
972-64-209662