Peformance Data in a Database

Ben Clewett Ben at clewett.org.uk
Tue Apr 13 12:26:56 CEST 2004

Hi,

I looked at your patch, with a view to converting to MySQL.  There seems
to be a reliance on using functions and triggers within PostgreSQL.
This is an excellent method of programming using a DBMS and I am
entirely in favor of it.

However, I am more of a user than a developer and really need the data
in MySQL soon.  Which doesn't support Triggers, and only supports
Functions in alpha/beta code.  A large amount of work may be required to
convert this code to MySQL.

I also think there may be a table missing in your structure.  In order
to correctly represent and select, the data needs to be partitioned by
it's metric, something like this ERD:

host ----< service -----< metric ----< perfdata

host    (_host_)
service (_host_, _service_)
metric  (_host_, _service_, _metric_, unit, descript)
data    (_auto_inc_, service, host, metric, time, value, max, min, state)

Where _field_ = PK.

 From which, using the strengths of the DBMS, graphs and trends can be
very easily produced.

I think I might therefore have to write my own parser.  Not up to the
standards of this, just a kludge to get the data I need. :)

Thanks for the help,

Ben.