nagios api

Druzhinin Eugene druzhinin at rusmedia.ru
Fri Apr 2 11:19:22 CEST 2004

Sorry I complete my message :-)
------------------------

Hello.

IMHO the problems concerned in this thread are
 the way configuration data can be conveniently
 populated and the means to take into account
 link state between monitoring server and host
 in question. The first thing is implemented
 in relational databases (MySQL or PgSQL) and
 could be implemented other way. The latter I
 think could be done in some new object type
 besides implemented "host" and "service" .

Any thoughts?

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:23:00 +1000
Tony Sceats <tony at bulletproof.net.au> wrote:

> > Tony Sceats wrote:
> > > So, I suppose I have 1 question and one
> > > suggestion.. the first question is does Nagios have an API, and is it
> > > documented anywhere? If so, I suppose it would be in C or C++ ?

> > It's not documented anywhere except for rather extensive commentary
> > within the code itself. You might want to try the 'indent' program on it
> > if you want to try following the logic around without suffering
> > brain-damage.
>
> damn, there I was thinking it might be easy :) I'll give it a go, see
> what happens :) Jason suggested using the status.log, but this doesn't
> seem appropriate. What I was looking for is a way to get something like
> the output of this:
>
> /cgi-bin/status.cgi?host=all&servicestatustypes=248&serviceprops=42&hostprops=42
>
> but in plain text or in some kind of data structure..
>
> > > The reason I ask is that I a while
> > > ago now I wrote a cgi script that will list all the hosts currently
> > > monitored with nagios.. it does this by parsing the relevant config files,
> > > and will display this list as series of options.. for each host selected it
> > > will put a comment in nagios by writing to the named pipe file
> >
> > Sounds kinda useful, I guess. But with a script you won't be able to
> > access a C API without intermittent programs anyway.
>
> it was intended more of a way to track which machines have been patched
> against a known vulnerability more than anything, and the comments put
> there just because it's nice to see the fact it's been patched recorded
> somewhere.
>
> We monitor hosts on many different ISPs, and sometimes a whole bunch
> will go down due to a routing issue (or whatever). Having host
> dependencies on core routers sounds good, but in practise it's very hard
> to keep up with dynamic routing issues... A way to acknowledge a whole
> set of hosts at once would save a LOT of effort at times..

Sorry for my English.

Best regards.
Druzhinin Eugene.
+7(095)980-03-93